Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Concert with the Stevens Family

"Yes I know, yes I know, Jesus' blood can make the vilest sinner clean.."



I sat on the front row of my church, camera in hand. It was a Wednesday night, and we where sitting listening to a family trio, the Stevens family, sing.

"I've got a mansion, just over the hill-top, in that bright land where we'll never go old..."

They had said they sung a mix of Southern Gospel and Contemporary, but as I sat listening to their first two selections of the night, I was beginning to figit a bit. I mean, I grew up on this type of music, but the rest of my church.....well, I'll put it this way. My boyfriend wonders why I don't wear earplugs while singing on the worship team. I was thinking, "Surely ya'll coulda started out with something more, well, upbeat?!?!"
Now don't get me wrong, they're harmony was perfect; flawless. I was enjoying it. But what about the others?
OK, rule number one. Never assume. Got that? Good. It is always a bad thing to do. Something I tend to do all the time, sadly. All right! Whew! Got that one outta the way!
Now on! Then they sang another! I started thinking, "Wow, this is really awesome!"  Here's the ending....

I really realized that night how much I really missed listening to more of a variety of music. I miss having a Sourthern Gospel radio station to listen to.

I really liked this song. It's truly unique.


One thing I really like about this trio was their abilty to maintain their stage presence even though we didn't exactly have a house full that night. I believe that is a mark of true professionals.
Last, but not least, we had an awesome altar call. It was really nothing terffically wonderful in a sense, but the Lord really dealt with me and touched me. There was such a sweet spirit, the Holy Spirit in that sanctuary!

Anyway, afterwards, I met Erin Stevens.

She is such a sweet soul! We were able to talk and share a lot and we had a really good time! Poor Erin, I think I talked her ear off! lol
So anyway, the next time you're faced with a decision to do something different and out of the ordinary, do it! I think so often we think and even live in a box and we live in a rut! We need to break out of it and do something different and see what God can do!

by Maria Rice



No comments:

Post a Comment