Friday, June 10, 2011

"Do Better Now, My Child"

"He came to my desk with a quivering lip,
The lesson was done.
'Have you a new sheet for me, dear teacher?
I've spoiled this one.'
I took his sheet, all soiled and blotted,
And gave him a new one all unspotted,
And to his tired heart I cried.
'Do better now, my child.'

I went to the throne with a troubled heart,
The day was done.
'Have a new day for me, dear Master?
I've spoiled this one.'
He took my day, all soiled and blotted,
And gave a new one all unspotted.
And to my tired heart He cried,
'Do better now, my child.'"


     I heard this today on Ravi Zacharias' weekly program "Let My People Think." It really encourages me. I am, by personality, a perfectionist. If I know I can't do it best, I often don't want to do it at all. This poem was written by a teacher, (Kathleen Wheeler), so I can just imagine what senario brought this about. I can just imagine this child, maybe about 6 or 7 years old, hunched over his school desk, his whole concentration fixed on writing his letters on a sheet of paper already blotched by pencil smudges and eraser crumbs. He finally sits up, but instead a satisfied smile, he sighs and slowly rises from his seat and walks toward the teacher's desk. "What will my teacher say?" he wonders. "What will she do to me? Will she punish me? I tried so hard!" But as he approaches her, she looks down into his face. See, his teacher is wise, and she has been watching him. She knows about his struggle in this particular subject, and she knows how hard he has tried. She knows what he will ask before he even opens his mouth. Her hand is ready to give him a new sheet of paper, and even as he speaks, she is drawing the paper out of the box, and reaching out to receive her beloved students work. The anxiety fades from the boys face as he receives a second chance, or maybe this is his third, or fourth. "Do better now, my child." His teacher encourages him.
     Like that little boy, we try so hard to please our Master and Teacher, Jesus Christ. We read in the Bible how He is holy and pure, and we read how we must be like him. 1 Peter 2:21 says, "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." We get up in the morning, determinded to do our very best that day to do everything we are supposed to do and, not mess up. Unfortunately, so often our day just does not go the way we want it to go. We don't get half of our to-do list checked off, or maybe we fly off the handle at a coworker, or worse, a family member. Then, at the end of the day, we come before God's throne. We think, "Well, here I am again! Why can't I ever get anything right?  Does it really do any good to try anymore? What will God think of me? Will he be mad at me?"
     1 John 2:1 says, "...And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:" We come before our Father, knowing our failures, knowing our own inconsistencies and sinful nature, and think, "He'll surely give up on me this time." It feels like that sometimes, doesn't it? However, our Father knows our failures also. He knows what we are going to say before we say it, and He is waiting there for us. He's been watching us throughout our day, He sees how hard we try, and He sees when we fail, but He is always ready to forgive us, and to give us a new day, a second chance. He has given us an Advocate, His own Son. It is by Him that we have second chances. Praise the Lord for his unspeakable gift!

Attitude check?!?!

13 comments:

  1. Amazing.... and thanks for expounding the poem, I just heard it and felt it was good poem... never really gave much thought to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the same poem today at Ravi's service and I was compelled to search for it, which led me to your posting.

    It speaks wonderfully of our heavenly Father's love and grace for us.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the Same way & did seek for the source as well. Truly this is God's special dealing with men. Our Father is love personified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! GOD HAS ALWAYS SPOKEN TO ME THROUGH POETRY. THIS IS ONE OF THE GEMS OF POETRY THAT SPEAKS A SHORT BUT PROFOUND THOUGHT INTO OUR HEARTS ABOUT THE MERCY AND GRACE OF OUR AMAZING GOD. I AM ON A MISSION TO WRITE THE ENTIRE BIBLE IN POETIC FORM. I WOULD LOVE TO CONNECT WITH OTHER POETRY LOVERS AND WRITERS. MY NAME IS ROBERT LEWIS--lewismediallc@gmail.com. I AM ALSO TRANSFERRING MANY OF MY GOD GIVEN POEMS INTO PLAYS. TO HAVE A SHOWING AT YOUR CHURCH OR CONTACT ME: 229-366-3144 or
    lewismediallc@gmail.com

    164 North Old River Road
    Blakely, GA 39823

    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard this poem in a RZIM teaching and I was brought to tears. What an awesome poem. It's describes us at our core, always failing but God. God is always granting us grace through the power of the cross. Is there any one of us who does not need daily forgiveness?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It brought me to tears when I read dwelled on the poem, such an amazing love from Christ that I can't even begin to image why on earth He loves us so much and keep giving us hope anew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It brought me to tears when I read dwelled on the poem, such an amazing love from Christ that I can't even begin to image why on earth He loves us so much and keep giving us hope anew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome, Just searched for this poem after Ravi's message and is appeared here. Thanks a lot.

    -Vinay

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a poem! Sounds so simple with a fact so profound!looks like picturing a child around 7 or 6, but I am 76, and still on my knees with this poem opened in my app! Chronologically I may be a little older than dear Ravi, geographically in some time of our life we could have shared the same city or even church ( in chennai.india) theologically,he is far far ahead.. ( but I still have lots of questions !!) But never ever failed to thank God from the very depth of my heart for such GOD SENT ANGELS like Ravi who has illuminated and ignited many like me through his expositions that relates to our very present times!May the heavens pour the richest blessings on all God's children like Ravi, to continue to be a blessing to very many!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Poem, always reminds me of Ravi Zacharias when i read this poem. RIP Ravi Zacharias!! Today he has slept in the Lord, and has submitted his final day to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hope is that my Lord would grant me favor with my grandchildren.To read this beautiful poem that is a picture of our Father's great Love and Compassion He has bestowed on His children.

    ReplyDelete